Saturday, July 11, 2015

Abbott - DeCou Mansion


Abbott - DeCou Mansion
58 Soloff Drive

        Once at the end of a  long lane leading from South Broad Street, the house in which Lacey and Sally Abbott settled was built in 1797.  Lacey was the grandson of Timothy Abbott, the son of John Abbott, who came to this country from England in the early 1700s, and settled on this land later known as Spring Lake Park.  Later John bought land a mile east of the Watson plantation.
                The home is referred to as the old DeCou mansion because Peter DeCou purchased it in 1892.  DeCou's wife, Martha, was known to many as "Aunt Martha," a generous and civic-minded person.  For example, when a school on South Broad Street was necessary, Aunt Martha donated a large plot of land for a playground.  The former DeCou School and the DeCou Hose Company are named in her honor.
                  Source: Old Nottingham, Historical Association of Hamilton Township

         The above image depicts what was originally the rear (north elevation) of the house with the rear (south elevation) toward the Delaware River being the main entrance.  The house is on the National and State Registers.  It is privately owned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment