Saturday, May 16, 2015
Historic White Horse Tavern
WEST, A History of Hamilton Township. 1954
". . . With the drawbridge (over the Crosswicks Creek) in operation,the route through (Isaac) Pearson's farm was becoming more important, more heavily used. As a result, construction of a tavern, at what became known as White Horse . . . would likely have been wanted. (Isaac) Pearson had the tavern built in 1765, according to Helen West's 1954 history of Hamilton Township. Pearson continued to own the property on which the tavern was built until his death. Many taverns were rental properties, with the tavernkeeper paying rent to the owner. Pearson ... leased out his tavern "
Source: US Department of the Interior, National Park Service